Belhaven University is an innovative and academically progressive institution built on the timeless principles of scholarship, service, and biblical truth. Since its founding, Belhaven University has sought to fulfill and mission expressed in its motto: "to serve, not to be served."
The Controller is responsible for management and implementation of fiscal policies and procedures, accounting operations, financial reporting, audits, and internal fiscal controls of the university. The Controller reports directly to the CFO/Vice President of Business Affairs. This position is located on the main campus in Jackson, Mississippi. This position is classified as exempt.
- Supervise an office staff that includes: Assistant Controller, Junior Accountant, Accounts Payable and Cashier
- Supervise and participate in accounting, reporting, and reconciliation of receipts and disbursements; unrestricted and restricted funding, grants, and contracts; fixed assets; capital projects; endowments; student loans; accounts payable; student receivables; annuities; trusts; and, required federal and state fiscal reporting (including all required tax returns)
- Prepare schedules and financial statements for external audit
- Supervise university interface related to external audits
- Analyze cash flow and participate in management decisions related to short term working capital investments
- Develop, maintain, and enforce internal controls with respect to treasury, revenue, expenditure, payroll, payables, property, and inventory
- Integrate the general ledger, subsidiary ledgers, accounts payable, cashiering, student billing, and human resource/payroll accounting modules with the registrar, director of financial aid, director of student accounts, director of advancement, director of hr/payroll and student development modules within the administrative computer database
- Participate in the development and execution of policies and procedures related to budget and financial planning as assigned
- Maintain understanding of federal and state laws and regulations relevant to the fiscal operations of the university
- Maintain relations with banks, bond trustees, external auditors, investment managers, governmental organizations, and professional associations
- Assist in special accounting and finance projects with the CFO/VP of Business Affairs
- Participate in official and ad hoc committee assignments as directed
- This announcement covers the most significant duties performed by the position, but does not include other work, which may be similar, related to, or a logical assignment for the position